Wednesday, May 1, 2013

April 2013

Funny how time goes.  I have been gearing up for April for months and months.  It loomed large in the horizon for so long and now, poof, it is over.

I truly had the most amazing April this year.  I squashed so much fun and beadmaking into this past month. 

First off my daughter accompanied me to the Glass Craft and Bead Expo in Las Vegas.  She brought a friend with her - Horse (with no name) as we were going to the desert!

Horse has accompanied me all month.  He is my new official mascot.



One of the highlights of the trip to Vegas was a charity demo.  I actually felt a bit nervous the entire time, but Sam Hibler was great to make beads with and she kept me and the onlookers very entertained. 


We were able to stay an extra day in Las Vegas and had a chance to visit the Valley of Fire state park.  OH MY!  What a beautiful place.  If you ever are in the Vegas area, don't miss the opportunity to spend a day in the park.  And, remember to pack a lunch - there is NOTHING around - I really mean it NOTHING.


Next stop in my April Whirlwind was Corning.  The Corning Glass Museum is one of my favourite places.  They just updated their Chihuly - it received a cleaning and now has green and yellow bits.


My class was full class at The Studio at Corning.  I had the best students.  It is such a wonderful feeling for me to see the light in people's eyes as they get as excited about melting glass as I do.


Before I even had a chance to catch my breath after Corning I was headed out west to the Whistler Molten Experience Bead Retreat.  I was invited as their guest artist.  Talk about an honour.

This is the view from the Edgewater Lodge where we stayed.  That is Whistler - they were still skiing up there! 





I did a few demos and watched a few more.  I met so many wonderful people.  I ate the most amazing sushi in Steveston on the way home too!

The retreat was fantastic.  It was very special to be selected as the guest artist.  I was happy to share my techniques and enjoy the tranquility of the mountains. 

The skunk cabbage was in bloom - seems a pretty nasty name for something that looks so lovely.  Apparently it can give off quite the odour!

In the background you can see the gazebo where the demos were held.

So, that was my April.  Life should be fairly quiet for a bit.  May I will be in Dallas, June is my annual trip to Bead and Button and then a bit of home time before Gathering in Rochester. 






No comments:

Post a Comment